Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 9 — Someone you wish you could meet

Dear Grandpa (Mom's dad),

You passed way too early. I feel like we would have been the best of pals. You were a fishing boat captain, and had 6 daughters and 0 sons. I think you would have liked me, since I was the first son in the family for some time.

I heard a lot about you, but I regret that I never had the opportunity to meet you. So I'm going to become a doctor, grandpa. I'm going to do it and I will try to give other people the opportunity to meet and create memories with their grandchildren. Although I couldn't meet you, it doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be able to meet their grandparents either.

Every time I think of you, I imagine those guys on "The Deadliest Catch". Was that how things were, except you were out catching mackerel, tuna, and other random beasts of the sea? Mom told me stories about how you were highly respected. You would hire deckhands but you would give the wages to their wives so that the men wouldn't go waste their earnings on drinks and frivolous things. You would always treat your children with love and devotion despite the fact that you had always wanted a son but only had 6 girls. And even though grandma couldn't (and still can't) cook for shit or didn't do any work around the house, you were okay with coming home after a long trip and picking up around the house.

Grandpa, if I become half the man that you were, I think I'll be just fine. I just wish that we had an opportunity to meet; so that I might have been proud of my grandpa, and that you might have been proud of me.

With longing,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment