Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 1 — Your Best Friend

Dear Best Friend,

You don't really exist right now. But there are many friends that I remember since childhood. I'll write to the lot of you. A paragraph each. This might get long? Also, I realize I need to write to someone from my childhood later in this series of entries. I'll figure it out when that time comes.

Remember when we used to play soccer all the time as little kids? You were a bit older than me so you were bigger and faster, but that just made me work harder because I wanted to be better. We would play so late and be the last kids off the soccer field. I don't know about you but my mom beat the living daylights out of me for 1. coming home past curfew every day, and 2. coming home so dirty and dusty everyday. Remember how we stole the used syringe needles that the farmers used to vaccinate their livestock with? We used to load them into our BB guns and devastate the frog population in our village with them. Probably wasn't such a great idea, now that I look back on it. You're a chemist in Korea now, right? I respect you for that. Chemistry is fun, but it gets damn hard at the level that you're at.

Your parents were so carefree with you. My parents were so restrictive with me. In a lot of ways, I wanted what you had. I loved having sleep overs at your house and playing video games as late as I wanted to. In the end though, you turned out to be a selfish jerk. But I guess I still value your friendship from when we still were close buddies. I hope you're well and that you're not working at some fast food restaurant somewhere. Let's meet again some day, in all our glory and success.

I actually don't know why or how we became friends. We were very different, you and I. I was mostly nerd and you were mostly jock. But I guess 6th and 7th grade was still a transitional stage and we got along just fine. I loved when we hung out, though. Your house was always a really cool place compared to the apartment I used to live in. To be honest, I was a bit embarrassed that my family lived in an apartment while my friends lived in houses and condos. I think you knew that, but let me get away with it. Thanks for that. Oh yeah, thanks for the tacos. The tacos I had at your house then was the first time I had tacos outside of taco bell. I didn't know people actually consumed tacos outside of TB.

We became friends around 8th grade? I'm picturing your 8th grade form, and I think...praying mantis. Sorry. You always made fun of me about Amy K., who had a crush on me for a pretty long time. Amy and I both wore yellow shirts one day to school and you made fun of that for months. To be honest, I regret avoiding Amy then, because she's really smart and got really hot in high school. I think Amy's still very attractive...well...from what I remember of her from the few times I saw her in college? Anyway, back to you. You were kind of weird. That's the only way I can describe you. And in some ways, you're still that very same 8th grader at times. It's cute at times, but wow, it seriously does get annoying at other times. I like it more when you're confident, serious, and mature. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that we're friends. I'm sure you have things about me that you hate and like. I'd like to hear them some day.

You were always a very bright guy. I don't ever remember you being angry or sad. But the kind of happiness you exuded wasn't the type to piss off or annoy others. It was a contagious type of glee. I was jealous of that you know. I wanted to be able to do what you did. You know, we were both pretty smart kids. But I think we played a little too much starcraft; me for sure. I think my SAT score could have been a lot better if I didn't spend half my time at home playing starcraft. I cared so much about my Win/loss ratio. It matters for shit today. Starcraft was definitely a waste of time, but you weren't. Thanks for your friendship. Hope we can catch up soon and stay in touch.

We lived together for two years, and you were the most problem-free roommate I ever had. We each did our own things, but we shared a lot at night in our bunks, and I'd pay good money to be able to go back to those times. But hey, you're married now, and I don't think your wife will be appreciative of me being in the bedroom with you guys...or...will she???? Just kidding. I'm glad we roomed together. We did have some awkward moments...like when I would sleepwalk naked out of our dorm room sans key and all, and wake you up at 4 in the morning asking you to let me back in before any of the girls in our hall saw me in all my glory. I'm glad you make an attempt to stay in touch with me these days. I apologize I don't do much of the same. I promise I'll try harder in the future. Oh yeah, I still need to meet your wife. Well, of course we've met, but we still barely know each other. Please make an effort to bring her with you the next time we hang out. I won't be mean. I'll admit that I might try to get along with her on your expense though.

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment