Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Killing to save

Today, I realized something. When I become a doctor, I am inevitably going to be responsible for people who die under my care. I may not be the guy, infection, or disease that hammers in the final nail into people's chests as they die, but I will be responsible for those dying patients. A page of my dead patients' medical record will read 'deceased', and somewhere on that very same page, my name will most likely be floating about. And you know...I decided I'm perfectly okay with that.

Shit happens, and I need to harden the fuck up about it.

Another part of me is saying to me, "Oh shit, I'm going to kill people". But this same part also realizes that flipping out about it isn't going to bring the dead back or miraculously save the other still-living patients waiting on me to save them...or kill them trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment